The galley

 

The cabin interior was in need of some major refurbishment. I took these photos in mid June 2006, and in November of the same year stripped the cabin sides and ceiling to bare timber and repainted. The stripping of the paint was not a very pleasant task as the fumes from the paint was pretty obnoxious, and I had to put a fan on to help the airflow, and keep me cool during the summer heat.

 

Above the chart table.

 

 The new wiring and switch panel was professionally installed, but I asked for the wiring to be left loose so I could move it when painting/remodeling the interior.

Portside of cabin. 

 


The pronounced curved beam covered a strengthening steel girder which went completely around the hull and cabin, and supported the mast.

Looking forward  into fore peak with new 'throne' installed.

August 2006

 

 

Just when I thought everything had been fixed on the cabin top I discovered a soft spot under the new paint work.

 

In the later Vertues there is a ring girder that goes around the hull and cabin before and aft the mast. A previous owner had covered this girder with a plywood (see above) cover  so any rust was not obvious. I pulled the cover off and this is what I discovered. After some major rust treatment I re-covered the girder. Note the outside 'view' once the rot had been cleaned out.
The rust might look quite ugly, but after some chipping away with a hammer and chisel, applying some rust neutraliser, and spraying with etch primer the whole thing didn't look so bad
I  had to rout out a quite a bit of timber so that I could attach the new timber to the existing steel girders. The cut timber is in the foreground and I have used two pieces of 1/2 inch ply which bonded together with epoxy resin, and bolted to the girders. As there was a slight curve to the cabin side I used two timber frames to pull in the ply planking.

April 2007

I took a bold decision to lift Corio Vertue out in April 2007 and take the topsides back to bare timber just to see what condition the hull was in. It was a long slow process, but major assistance was provided by the first mate.

 While the weather was good so we made good progress in burning off the paint. It was a slow and tedious task but we eventually got there.

 

 
The seams were re-caulked with putty, and the hull sanded and fared. In the end there were five coats of primer applied, and 3 to four coats of undercoat.
In the meantime I had decided to dynel sheave the fore cabin as the seams were constantly opening and I was fed up with the leaks! It was a bit depressing taking off the all the new paint that was applied a year beforehand.
While Corio Vertue was on the hard I decided to attack the the interior of the main cabin. First of all it was time to get rid of the old bulk head between the cabins. This should have been a reasonably easy task but having to climb up and down a ladder to cut every piece of timber proved to be quite exhausting.
Bulkhead facing aft - port side.
Adding bulkhead on the starboard side looking aft.
I really am happy with progress!
Lining the the hull. In wooden boat terms this is called the ceiling!
It's coming into spring so it's frantic activity to apply the top coat and anti foul to the hull. Because I had a bad leg injury my dear neighbor Bob, and first mate did most of the work.
 
A bloody good day's work - anti foul and top coat.
 
Once the hull was completed there was plenty of time to complete the new lockers.
Naturally, once I had worked out how to do one side the other side was quite straight forward.
The above took about 3-4 weekend to work out whereas this side only took one day to complete.
Back in the water.

January 2008

And she sails.

March 2008

At long last Corio Vertue has her name.

June  2008

New cabin interior

Corio Vertue with her new set of sails